Dec 6, 2015

Peter Haining: A Dictionary of Vampires

Since I gave you a holy grail of vampire encyclopedias last week, I can't help but show you another example. This, as you could've read, is a dictionary. Which basically works using the same principle as the previous encyclopedia - the alphabetical order. 
Sure, if you take a look at how this one look, you can see it pales in comparison. I mean, it's only got 288 pages as opposed to Melton's humble 850. But it doesn't neccesarily mean this book is not worth opening. Not all the keywords are the same which makes this book as important of a source as the Melton's monster of a book.
Which brings us to the bright point of the day - you can take this one on a trip with you and not bother with its weight. The employees at the airport won't even accuse you of having bricks in your cabin luggage. Ha, you didn't see that coming, did you?!
I will not bother you with talking about how important books like these are when you are starting your research and have no idea which end to grasp first. There are so many keywords and ideas which will help you. Yup, it may be a little oudated but who cares? Vampires have been here for some time and some things never change so you won't even notice which year it was published in.
And having a few dictionaries or encyclopedias like these will never hurt - you can always have fun comparing data - I managed to get frustrated when getting years of some publications for my diploma thesis because the authors sometimes vary in them. Who the heck am I supposed to believe?! I know it's mostly just a year difference but I wanted to get things right... Oh, the decisions...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment