Dec 23, 2015

Flourless Zucchini Cake

This one really got me. It is so soft, yet moist. Everyone thought me crazy when I said I would make a zucchini cake without flour but it disappeared within one afternoon. 
Because it was scorching hot outside and a moist refrigerated cake suddenly appealed to everyone. Yup, it is, indeed, perfect for the hot weather we are having right now. 
I think this post will appear in December so it will be a little bit odd but as always, I'm writing this during the courgette season, not in December. And Europe is being swept by yet another heat wave, so... 

You'll need:
  • 1 1/2 cups almond meal
  • 1/4 cup corn starch
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 tea spoon salt
  • 2 cups finely grated zucchini
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 5 table spoons melted butter
  • 200g cream cheese
  • 2 tea spoons vanilla extract
  • some sugar 
  • some fruit to decorate it with
1) Combine the eggs and sugar. Whisk them in a bowl above simmering water till luke-warm. Then remove from the boiling water and keep beating till it doubles in volume and creates soft peaks. 
2) Mix all the other batter ingredients and then, slowly, fold in the eggs.
3) Bake for about 40 minutes at 180°C. Use the good ol' toothpick as a guide. 
4) Blend the cheese, sugar and vanilla well. Spread it on the cooled cake and decorate with some fruit. I had black cherries so that's what I decorated it with, but you can use any type of fruit you like.


No comments:

Post a Comment