Jul 24, 2016

Tim O'Rourke: Vampire Shift

I thought I'd manage to read so much stuff during the summer holidays but here I am with yet another free e-book read because I don't have time to read a proper book. I know these e-books are over 200 pages long but somehow I doubt their pages are the equivalent of a normal book page. I always finish faster when I have an e-book. Or maybe it's the poor writing which makes me fly through it.
This book was quite enjoyable. As you know, I don't usually read detective stories so it was refreshing for me to read this. There is this detective whose mother disappeared and she went to police school because of that. She wants to find her mother. 
Her first real assignment takes her to a god-forsaken town where no one wants to go since no one comes back from the job and where the death is more frequent than the birth. On the top of it all the police work only during the night (hence the Vampire Shift) and she very quickly realises that it's not just a joke. It literally is a vampire shift. 
She has to battle vampires, come to terms with a new race - vampyrus (vampire bat people) - and find out the killer who drinks the people of that town. On the top of it all she finds a clue which could lead her to her mother.
I enjoyed the witty detective and the guessing game of "Who's your Enemy and who's your Foe?" ... I should read detective stories more often. Then there were the horror scenes which didn't come up as grotesque but really as horror. I liked that even more. 
The book was fun to read BUT I wish it didn't have an open ending. I hate those.

GENRE: detective story meets horror
FANGS OUT: oh the guessing game
FANGS RETRACTING: I'd prefer more suspense and NOT AN OPEN ENDING!
TOTAL SCORE:

No comments:

Post a Comment