Sep 4, 2016

Tanya Huff: Blood Price

So, while I was on holiday in Hungary I had to have a book with me (it's not like I can count on my phone to have enough battery life to let me read when neccessary) and I actuallly read about a half of it in the meantime. No, the holiday wasn't boring but I tend to wake up before the others and must keep quiet so I read in the mornings.
This book was quite fast paced and interesting. I haven't read a horror in a while - all my free stuff is either funny or romantic - so I was happy. It's not really a chilling horror which would make me look over my shoulder but it was decent. 
The vampire in the book (just one) is Henry VIII's bastard son and he needs to help a private detective with what appears to be vampire murders. They are actually done by a demon summoned by a nerd who needs power but since the victims have their throats open and are bloodless, it sheds bad light on all the people who lead nocturnal life. Including vampires. So to avoid any suspiction and keep low profile, the vampire must reveal himself to one person who can actually solve the stuff. It doesn't matter that the dectective is obviously very choleric person and had to quit her job with the police because she got some kind of eye condition which prevents her to see at dark. 
The book was a mild horror thingy which proved to be entertaining and perfect for holiday. There was nothing elaborate which would divert your mind from the exploration of foreign places. What I didn't like, however, were the pieces of the vampire's former life - they were put into a text so that it looked as if it belonged to the main story. Some kind of divider would be helpful - just like with the vampire's writing (he's a writer) because that was in coursive so it was easy to tell apart. 

GENRE: horror
FANGS OUT: gruesome enough
FANGS RETRACTING: nothing to keep you guessing
TOTAL SCORE:

No comments:

Post a Comment