Aug 31, 2016

Dinosaur Plate

I saw a photo of a plate with giraffes cut halfway through their necks and sprayed pink. While that was definitely not for me I realized I could substitute the color and the animals with my much preferred silver dinos! (This all is a preparation for a different project, I just needed to get the feel for cutting anonymous dinosaurs, you know, to find out if I was OK with it)

You'll need:
  • 3 plastic animals roughly of the same size
  • a plate (all I could find was a ceramic one, plastic would be easier)
  • spray paint
  • exacto knife (not as dull as mine, it took ages to cut through!)
  • universal glue
  • optional: nail polishes for cooler eyes

So, at first you need to take a look at your dinosaurs, compliment them a little so that they start to feel a false sense of security. Say that the measuring is part of their regular health check. Oh, if they only knew... 

 Once you've decided how high or low you want the plate stand or how much body you want to have above, draw a horizontal line all around them so that you know where to cut. This will take ages since you'll be measuring and getting into place where it is difficult to get.

Then, when they expect it the least, attack- stab them and cut them all around. If you have a dull knife, it will take ages as well.

Once the dinosaurs are halved, stick them to the bottom of your plate. Make sure they are evenly spaced. I started upside down to get them where I needed them but then flipped them over so that gravity would help me.

Repeat with the upper halves. Now, doesn't this start looking cosy? :-)=

Get out and prepare to awaken you street sprayer side. I was lucky - it was sunny as well as windy so that narrowed the time of 2 hours of drying per 1 coat to just plain 2 hours for all coats.

I had to spray two coats per side because as you can see here, the primary color seeped through the first coat.

But two coats was enough so all I needed were final touches - the eyes.

Yeah, they look rad :-D= Or red? I dunno. Pardon my English :-p

Aaaand that's it. I'm not sure this is food safe so I decided to let them treasure the keys.

No comments:

Post a Comment