Sep 28, 2016

Blueberry Ice Cream

How else to say goodbye to the summer holidays than making ice-cream? Among seasonal fruit it's basically the only food I live on during summer so I thought I'd make my own. And boy, it's heavenly! The preparation is a bitch since I don't own any fancy ice cream makers and had to do all by hand but the result. Ohhhhh, the result... :-)=

You'll need:
  • 2 cups blueberries
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 table spoon lemon juice
  • 2,5 cups heavy cream
  • 1 cup milk
  • a pinch of salt
  • 3 egg yolks
  • patience
1) Take 1/4 sugar, blueberries and lemon juice - bring it to a boil in your saucepan and then mash them and run through the strainer (I didn't want any big parts in it so that's why).
2) Put 1 cup of cream aside.
3) Take the milk, cream, sugar and salt and put in a sauce pan till the sugar dissolves - when the steam is rising from the mixture, pour a little over whisked yolks and then return it with the yolks back to the burner. Mix. Always stir. Add the blueberry puree. Stir till the back of a wooden spatula holds the mixture and if you run your finger over it, the not wiped part holds in place... Oh, I'm bad at describing, I know. But I know what I'm doing. Google word NAPPANT if you don't know what I mean. 
4) Let the mixture cool down and then put it in the freezer. It's better to put it in a wide container because you'll need to break it afterwards.
5) When it's completely chilled, take it out and break it to pieces and let it start melting - just a little. Add the rest of your cream and with the use of hand mixer, incorporate. Pour into any container and put it back to the freezer. 
6) Mission accomplished! ;-)= 

No comments:

Post a Comment