Aug 30, 2014

John Polidori: The Vampyre

Alright, I successfully defended my diploma thesis yesterday (so long, university education, I’ll miss you) so I’m gonna start releasing reviews of the books I used in it. It’s not excerpts from my thesis because it wasn’t focused on that but hey, those books are still in my memory since I spent so many hours analyzing them, an therefore I can bring you my point of view.
Lord Ruthven is the first vampire to enter Anglo-American prose, and that’s why I’m going to talk rather fondly of it even though it has a ton of mistakes and unclear motifs in it.
This short story is a great example of incorporating the father figure theme into vampire fiction (doesn’t that make Herr Freud happy) and even though the vampire as we know it today is a weak creature who needs daggers to defend himself in the story, lets just appreciate the effort Polidori made to rewrite Byron’s story which had led nowhere and made it into even weirder story which led nowhere but which introduced a very convenient character to plague the book-reading part of humankind.
There is a beautiful motif of the power of the moon when it comes to the vampire rejuvenation so I’m going to look away from the stupid oath the main character must keep and just point in the direction of the Greek folktales mentioned in the story. Plus the ending, oh, the cunning demon escaping after achieving everything he wanted to maybe resurface in your own home! Oh, the chills down our spines! :-)=
And what legacy could possibly this piece bring? Well, why not use the vampire as a means of dealing with our anxieties and tabooish subjects we are afraid to address directly. Through the character of vampire the future writers could deal with such tasks quite elegantly while spooking the hell out of their readers.
So thank you, Mr Polidori, it was high time the English suppressed emotions could run free in the evil metaphor called vampire.

GENRE: romantism introduces new element into the gothic fiction
FANGS OUT: the first vampire to walk the prose in the English language (heck, it was about time!)
FANGS RETRACTING: the oath, oh the weak oath
TOTAL SCORE:




No comments:

Post a Comment