Aug 10, 2014

50 Shades of Red ... part 3

I realised I haven't done this for a while which is a shame because the red lipsticks keep adding up in my make up box and I really need to sort them out in order to find my perfect red. Or a couple of reds, because let's face it - one is simply not enough. There is the one for autumn, the one for winter, the one for that sweather I wear, etc... I think  you get the picture. So, let the hunt continue!
This time I chose to take a look at Oriflame and Essence. I think some of the Oriflame lipsticks are discontinued so you may not be able to find them anymore. That is my personal hell. Falling in love with a product which was just a limited edition and is never coming back...
So, let's take a look at the infamous sheet of paper I made out with to see what today's issue of our series brings:


More swatches:
Starting with Essence. I think the lipsticks are good for you if you are afraid of colors. They are very balm-like and therefore the color pay-off is very limited. I think of them as tinted lip balms rather than lipsticks. In that case, they are good. You eat them up just like you eat any lip balm and have to reapply them often. But for the price and feeling that your lips are nourished, why not... You may also be surprised by the glitter pieces in them. Not all of them, though (Almost Famous is glitter-free, while Rockin' Red and More to Love have it). But that is the basic line. Essence introduced a new line quite a while ago and those lipsticks are killers. They are only a bit more expensive than the original line (which is still very affordable) yet don't have the same structure. They are less balmy, the color is truer to what you see and it stays surprisingly long. Sure, the first meal will kill it but you won't have to reapply after and hour of plain speaking like you would have with the balmy ones. So thumbs up for the new line (Dare to Wear in the following picture).
Oriflame also offers different types of lipsticks varying in price and quality. However, (usually) the higher the price the more likely it is to last. The creamy cheaper ones don't stay and have less pigmentation than the more expensive ones. I always buy them in sale so I am not sure how much they normally cost  but I do know that I never even think about buying one for the full price, so... I think it would make me angry if I bought Cherry Cashmere for the full price because it doesn't last much. But the color is beautiful. It's a dark red with gold shimmer and looks natural (if that can be said about a red) on the lips. But the creamy structure just sucks. Carmine and Red Devotion, on the other hand, are long-lasting and the colors are "in-your-face" reds. Cosmo and Radiant are just "meh" (I've been using this word too much lately, sorry).
I have my favourites in here but with this never-to-be-seen-again policy the manufastures so often bring I must give them up once I use them up because those beauties aren't gonna be here. I weep for humanity. Really. So, let's just see one more picture and call it quits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment