Aug 5, 2014

Charlaine Harris: Dead Ever After



I really have no idea how to write this. My goodbye review. I mean I hate when some series go on and on forever never reaching “finale grande”, however, I also hate them ending because I wouldn’t have bought all the books in the series if I found them a complete waste of time, right? And this bitter-sweet feeling is all I have left for Sookie Stackhouse who has entertained me since my puberty.
It’s been almost ten years since I bought my first copy! I want the end as well as the next new thrilling story! I was totally puzzled this summer when I went to buy my new story about Sookie and found out this one was the last one. Somewhere along the way of writing my diploma thesis (on vampires, of course) I had to stop reading most of the books I usually read and I had to focus on the couple of books my diploma thesis was about (reviews coming, don’t worry). And after finishing my thesis I felt like not reading about vampires for some time. And then I thought the best way how to get out of my vampire fiction reading slump would be starting with something I always like. Something I knew would be a sure thing. And instead I got despair and confusion. I was given THE END. It took all my control not to look at the cover to stay spoiler free. I chose my team long ago and I really didn’t want to know. But at the same time I wanted to take a look at the last chapter first (someone once wrote about doing it every time he/she felt like the book was becoming too emotional to handle and I sneered at the confession but now I must admit this idea crossed my mind ... and fortunately flew away before I grasped it).
I mean, come on! All the books were written in the first person narrative and now new storytelling techniques are introduced? Really, as far as the style goes this book is the best one. I hate when they save the best for the last.
Storywise, I’m not so sure. There’s been better in the series. But maybe it is only because my mind was shadowed by this whole end thingy plus as I’ve already said, I’ve picked my team and it didn’t win! I hate when religion beats true love. 
So, good bye Sookie, I may re-read the series though during long boring winter nights just for the heck of it. The series was interesting and just because the end sucks for me doesn’t mean it sucks on the whole and that it is illogical. It isn’t. I saw it coming but I just hoped it would wind up a different way.

GENRE: mystery
FANGS OUT: entertaining
FANGS RETRACTING: now just a memory, one gets nostalgic just thinking about it
TOTAL SCORE:

No comments:

Post a Comment