Oct 25, 2015

Christopher Moore: Bloodsucking Fiends

Oh boy, I don't even know where to start. See, I always have difficulties coming up with reviews of books I enjoyed. This book has been sitting on my shelf so long I almost forgot I had it. And what a waste it would have been had I not came across it one morning. Honestly, where would my life be? This books is exactly what a sarcastic person like me needs.
Plotwise it's your typical scenario - an abandoned newly turned vampire is coming to terms with her new position in the world order. Or in the food chain, whatever you prefer. She needs a Renfield of sorts to help her during the hours she is dead to the world and she also needs to find out who is after her since bloodless people are being found way too close to her lair. 
But the way it is written... sarcasm, absurdism and humour drips from every effing page. The dialogues between the unlikely couple (a young aspiring writer who works night shifts in a store with god-knows-whom and a boring plain woman who is suddenly turned into a predator) are so frickin' absurd you feel like you've come to the Twilight Zone. Or to a 50-year-long marriage where no one listens to anyone while still talking. But you don't read poetry to your loved one while hanging from the ceiling upside down, do you? You don't give TURTLES to people as your love token, do you? As a man you don't get flowers from five illegal Chinese immigrants in hope of your hand in marriage, do you?
I just loved the book. I've googled there are some more. I'm coming for them! 

GENRE: fun, sarcastic fun
FANGS OUT: I'm still on the floor laughing
FANGS RETRACTING: keep them out, yo!
TOTAL SCORE:

No comments:

Post a Comment