Jul 5, 2015

Vivian Vande Velde: Companions of the Night

The cover promised a thrilling dark story so I took it with me to a school trip to read at night while being on watch (being a teacher sometimes sucks, I can tell you - there is nothing worse than being up most of the night in order to catch misbehaving teenagers who don't exist these days - who would bother to leave the cottage with all its comfort and free wi-fi, right?).
Anyway, I took the book because it looked short enough to read through two nights and because it looked promising - I knew I needed something entertaining not to fall asleep.
At first, the book looked promising - an interesting evil vampire and hunters were involved, even though the teenage lead character was probably its weakest point but still I had hopes. And no other book so, beggars can't be choosers. I kept on reading. 
It was getting more and more unbelievable and  I just didn't understand why the characters behaved in a certain way. Weak, weak, weak. Really, their illogical behavior somehow blew the story and left only shards of something that could have been a really nice plot. The vampire could have done so much more with his potential.


GENRE: horror, I guess
FANGS OUT: the beginning
FANGS RETRACTING: the characters are unrealistic, the situations even more so
TOTAL SCORE:

No comments:

Post a Comment