Mar 29, 2015

Katie MacAlister: Crouching Vampire, Hidden Fang

You remember that I loathe cliffhangers, right? So you can probably imagine how furious I was when I bought one book in those never-ending series (which you can read in any order you like because each book focuses on a different couple) only to find out that I needed one more book to actually finish the story. 
But all bad aside, I came across the series a while ago and was more than curious about it because these books are about the Dark Ones who are from Moravia. Yeah, so finally someone puts vampires in my homeland. Naturally, I keep buying the books in order to see how foreigners see the people around me. But let's face it, you can write a romance and set it anywhere without really knowing anything about that particular country. So you stop paying attention and get the police car's colors wrong (I think it was in the first book of the series) but then you make it a cosmopolitan series and those who were happy to read about their country (even with the mistakes) are disappointed.
The vampires in these series can either be created or born. Somehow along the way they lose their soul and are left with terrible void inside. Until they find the one and only woman who can restore their soul by completing the ultimate steps to soul gaining someone has made up. The woman in question gets immortality in return and nothing changes about her. She can still follow normal diet. The dude, however, can feed only from her... so the author managed to turn the tables - if you recall, the vampire romance section is full of domineering men who decide everything, here the dude is nothing without a woman. That's nice.

GENRE: romance
FANGS OUT: Go Moravians, go! :-)=
FANGS RETRACTING: there are funnier and better books in this genre, plus I don't really understand how the author chooses titles for the books because they look so random and not connected to what's in the books
TOTAL SCORE:

No comments:

Post a Comment