Mar 20, 2016

Jody Offen: A Vampire's Garden of Stones

I wish I were a witch and could curse the day Amazon started with those one-click purchases. I accidentally clicked on this book and spent 1.20 Dollars on this nonsense. This book was an insult to all the readers and no one should pay for it. No one!
Honestly, can just anyone write a book and sell it right to the seller and skip the whole proofreading process these days? I know that the proofreaders don't usually correct grammar but someone should see it before it reaches the reader who pays for it. 
Plot-wise the book wasn't so bad. You have this vampire who has waited centuries to find his destined mate and once she is almost at his grasp she keeps getting into deadly situations where it's mere seconds before she is lost forever. The vampire is manipulative - he can erase memory and command. He also lies a lot. Which makes him very poor boyfriend material and it doesn't go well with happily-ever-after theme because once these lies become clear his eternity will tumble like a house made of cards - now that's something I'd be more interested in reading. 
But unfortunately even if the plot wasn't half bad there's the author's writing skill. Or the lack of it. I wanted to google how old this person is because I don't want to judge without perspective. It'd be good for a first attempt at a book by a fifteen-year-old but a very poor thing for someone who should know better. Needless to say I didn't find the info so I'm guessing this was written by an adult.
At the beginning I kept overlooking the punctuation mistakes (like missing quotation marks) but then serious mistakes like (to instead of too) started popping up. That got me uneasy. A non-native speaker of English should not be able to detect such things, right? I mean, I effin' learn from reading! I don't wanna learn a mistake by accident! It's your mother tongue for Christ's sake! Get a grip you lousy author! Anyway, needles to say I became a hater of this and the last straw was the classic mistake - you're vs. your - which is probably only made by half-witted idiots. Because not even the kids I teach (who speak English for only a couple of years) make it.
But that's not all. The heroine acts very immature and her inner monologues are cringe-worthy (too much GAWD in there) and unfortunately her male counterpart picks up the slang so that later you can't tell the difference between the language of a stupid 20-something-year-old and a centuries old vampire who otherwise "slips" into chivalrous behaviour. Why, oh why?
I. WANT. MY. MONEY. BACK. Really, I'm so outraged that I'm gonna give it just one vampire kiss in the rating - that hardly ever happens. 

GENRE: how to piss off  a reader
FANGS OUT: the story was OK-ish
FANGS RETRACTING: all the mistakes grammar Nazis hate and more
TOTAL SCORE:

No comments:

Post a Comment