Nov 5, 2014

Dracula Untold (2014)

I don't watch telly or go to the cinema much these days. I somehow don't have time and when faced with the decision of reading or watching I always grab a book (like that's a surprise, right? ;-)= ). But this fall everywhere on the internet I could see these trailers telling me to go and watch the new Dracula.
So I managed to get  a free Saturday and dedicated my time to socializing. And by that I mean sitting with other people in one room and staring at a gigantic screen for ninety minutes and then go home while saying a total of ten words or so. ;-)= No, I'm kidding, but that's not what this post is about anyway.
To the review then... I mean, from the posters you would say the story would be pretty somber, right? The dude who plays Dracula looks terrifying with all those bats around - as if he were some dark angel. But I'd seen the trailers before going to the cinema so I knew the dude was actually as hot as hell and that meant only one thing- the filmmakers wanted the audience to fall in love with him and shift the context in which we talk about Dracula. 

Which is exactly what happened. Little did we know when we read the original book. Everything he did was for his country and family - I bet he was awarded Father of the Century back in the 1400s. Yup, he even asked to become a vampire (which is not a surprise now with all our good vampires lurking in the shadows waiting for their opportunity to save the day but there was nothing good in the old-school Dracula!). 
There were many things I didn't like (e.g. him not being able to save his wife in time while his crew bravely bleeds slowly so that they can get their revenge etc.) but there were also bright moments (such as Dracula's Renfield or his reincarnated wife as Mina). And I totally loved the end when Dracula's maker appears and says something ominous :-)= Now, that's a story I'd like to hear about.

DIRECTOR: Gary Shore
GENRE: action/drama/fantasy
FANGS OUT: a new twist on an old story seems fun
FANGS RETRACTING: people who like the original will not buy this whole hero thingy
TOTAL SCORE:

No comments:

Post a Comment