Nov 12, 2013

What to do on a rainy Sunay



they even have this Hollywood style pavement
One would say that rain destroys the possibility of all outdoor activities but when you are among a group of friends who are from different parts of the country and have only limited spare time, you have to take the only day which you all have free in your schedule – come hell or high water.
That’s exactly what happened to us. We planned long ahead to find the day we were all free and decided to make a trip to Prague to go to the zoo. All the weekends before, it was sunny and that meant, of course, that our Sunday was going to suck. And it did.
The rain was pouring, we had to walk long kilometers around the zoo and saw nothing because it was early November, which meant most of the animals were locked up for winter and would be seen again in spring. Oddly enough, even the central or northern European animals were missing. Then there was this moose family sitting in one enclosure and the notice board said we were looking at some reindeer... The zoo has recently suffered from flood (again) and the low positioned habitats were under construction and we saw nothing.

It was all weird and empty and mixed up and wet and confusing ... and on the top of it all, there were women with frickin’ babies in prams who were always ALWAYS always blocking the way in the narrowest paths. You never saw them taking the normal path, no, that’s too mainstream. You gotta stick to the narrow one to make people hate you while your baby is either sleeping or crying. What the hell are all those people thinking? How can a little baby enjoy a visit to the zoo?! It’s not aware of the outside world, its only highlight of the day is a clean nappy and you take it to the zoo?!  
These misplaced cuties made us all doubt our biology teachers :-)
By the way, when talking about kids I have to mention this Russian family we kept bumping into (unfortunately we chose the same route). Those kids fed all the animals they could reach biscuits! They saw lamas and a notice board prohibiting everyone from feeding the animals weird stuff and they immediately took pictures next to it while feeding the lamas. While the parents laughed. I really wanted to shout at them when I saw them stuffing meerkats with chocolate biscuits. But then I realized that perhaps the fight was lost. My Russian is very limited, I bet they couldn’t speak Czech or English properly to taste my wrath in its full mode and that as a teacher I was probably overacting and letting my profession carry away my “offline” judgment. And if the zookeepers didn’t want their animals be fed by undisciplined people, they should have thought about it a little more and have them all far away from anyone’s reach.
When we all gave up hope of seeing the wolves, I stared into the enclosure from above and wondered what was my brain trying to tell me. And then I saw :-) This is a super-zoomed in picture because the wolf was very far away and almost invisible.
We still had some time to kill and decided to visit an observatory because they play documents there (on the dome ceiling, so that you can relax and lie there). Our was called “The Uninvited Guests from Space” and talked about asteroids. It filled us with despair, because now we know that it’s gonna hit us one day (maybe not us but still...). I somehow lost most of the info mentioned during the documentary due to the two little brats sitting behind me who started talking after ten minutes. I get it, they were bored, it wasn’t for them but when they started kicking into my chair I really wanted to turn around, grab them by their ponytails and throw them out of the room. Don’t get me wrong. It’s not their fault. It was the fault of the self-centered blonde bitch who spends more of her time on getting a manicure than on bringing up her children. So no matter how terrible the asteroid flying toward Earth sounded bad at that moment I thought it couldn’t be here soon enough.
Well, I can’t say it was all that bad because we spent the day with my friends and that kinda balances out the idiots you meet on the way. We contributed on rebuilding the zoo, educated ourselves, had fun and some of us decided for sure to never ever have children :-)=

2 comments:

  1. I am traveling in your blog....all of a sudden I see your other visit to the zoo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yeah, I love animals and go to a zoo whenever I can :-)=

      Delete