Sep 13, 2015

Laurell K. Hamilton: Obsidian Butterfly

Don't judge the book by it's cover my ass. The reason why I keep buying these Anita Blake series is more about the really beautiful covers than about the plots in the books. Quite a long time ago I decided not to read it anymore because the protagonist started to be one horny bitch with way too many moral struggles and the books started to be more about her libido than about some serious supernatural action. I wanted to quit. But how could I when I got some more books in the series?
I must admit that Obsidian Butterfly is the best so far. It goes back to the beginning when gruesome murders are investigated and the protagonist's sex life goes into the background. Thank goodness. One can finally take a break and focus on the pure horror and action. I mean, sure, the protagonist still has that inner fight with her sexuality, but is is not as annoying as in the previous books. That's basically what they were about. But here the tables finally turned and we can enjoy supernatural investigation of one of the most horrible murders the protagonist has ever encountered. 
The plot has a lot of twists, the narrating doesn't skip anywhere, so you get the facts as the protagonist gets them which makes it both a little bit boring when it comes to form but unpredictable when it comes to the plot. 
According to this book I am a little hopeful when it comes to the next books. But since the protagonist has to come to terms with her two guys, I'm afraid the next book will be just as obnoxious as the ones before Obsidian Butterfly. But I can't tell until I've read them, right? So, I'm buying the next ones in the series. Because I need to investigate where this is all going... it's not because I love the covers ;-)=

GENRE: action/horror
FANGS OUT: entertaining
FANGS RETRACTING: the horny protagonist is being repetitive and bothersome
TOTAL SCORE: (but only for this particular book, not for the series in general)

No comments:

Post a Comment