Aug 30, 2015

Origami Cranes Suspended from the Ceiling

I was making hanging origami for my nephew and since I didn't know which would be better (a 3D or 2D version) I did both - the 2D which can be easily hung on the wall was taken for my nephew and I was left with the "3D" one for my kitchen. So, this is how you can make yours... Oh, and I suggest you make a less colorful one. This one was primarily for a kid so I believe you want something more color-coordinated for yourself so bear in mind the colors you want to use and buy or make the square papers from that and not from every color of the rainbow with every patter you can obtain.
You need to master the technique of folding the basic origami creature - the crane - for this. Then it goes very smoothly and it is very similar to what I've done with those ceramic birds in one of my previous DIYs. 
Take your favorite origami creature and multiply it. And by that I mean fold like there is no tomorrow. If you've never done this before I suggest you do your research on youtube where there is like a gazillion tutorials (they have YODA there! but that's too difficult). Get your papers ready and just do, don't think of the pain from the papercuts :-)=
Next step is to find a branch. Go for a walk, it's healthy. And find a fallen branch of your liking. Avoid areas with too many dog owners around - the better version is that the dogs bit into it and you don't want a branch with some mutt's dental record, the worse version is that it was peed on. Repeatedly. When you come home, wash your branch.
Then proceed by drilling holes through the branch (I had to make 3 holes for hanging it from the ceiling and then numerous for the strings with birds). 
Then get you fishing rope and hang the birds on it - they are made of paper so it's easy to get it through them. When you have the amount you want, assembly it all together and admire your work ;-)=

No comments:

Post a Comment