Oct 22, 2014

Birds hanging from a branch

 Allright, I admit I can't go to any kind of market without buying something. It probably says how inconsiderate and materialistic person I am but I don't care. Even if it's just a little thing I need to buy something.
So, naturally, I couldn't resist the little birds at the annual ceramic market. I had no idea where to put them or what to do with them, all I knew was that I sure would find a way to make them work in my home and that I needed many. 
So I bought seven of them and on my merry way from the market I started forming a plan in my head.
I knew I would hang them (since there were holes in them) but didn't know what I would hang them from. But that was soon replaced by a memory of my forest walks and all those nice branches just lying on the ground. And that's how I knew the rough final look.

So, if you want to recreate this, here's what you're gonna need:
  •  winged ceramic beasts
  • ropes or some kind of thread thick enough to hold them and thin enough to go through the holes in them
  • beads if you want to put more on the ropes
  • a branch
  • patience of an angel
The aforementioned patience goes first. The beasts are hollow, and therefore the rope is going to tangle inside of them and will never reach the other hole. And don't think you will be able to use a needle. The eye of the needle which is able to take the thickness of the thread is thicker than the hole in the bird so you are screwed and basically you fool around for eternity before you get the thread through. 
This is also when the beads come in. I wanted the birds to perch on something so I put a bead under each of them. A little branch would look cool as well, I'm sure. So you know the drill: get the rope through and put the beads on wherever you want them till you get to the point where you have all the birds hanging on a rope.
You should wind up with a bunch of ropes of different lengths------->

Next, you just take a branch or a piece of wood or metal or just whatever you want to hang it on and prepare it. I found mine in the woods so I cleaned it, treated it with sandpaper and sprayed it with clear paint.
All that was left was to get the ropes on the branch. I wanted to drill holes through the wood but unfortunately I couldn't find the right size of the screw so I was forced to choose the less prettier version of hanging the birds - the knotting technique ;-)=. I just wrapped the thread around and made a knot. 
Then I took a wire and tied it at the ends of the branch to make a loop to hang the whole piece from.
And that was it. I installed it later above the kitchen table (the lousy picture at the top of this article) and that was it.


No comments:

Post a Comment