Jan 14, 2017

Beverley Lee: The Making of Gabriel Davenport

Instagram ruined me. I've ever read books. We already know that. But my research of what to read next always included google. Now? I log in and the barrage of pictures attacks my feed and there's just everything. To say nothing of the bookstagram-friendly authors who actually communicate with their followers. Without this particular social medium I'd never know they even exist! This book was an instabuy. Yup, even vampire-friendly authors don't shy away from bookstagram community.
This was bloody brilliant (oh, the puns) for a debut novel - writing this in the middle of snowy winter I regret reading it in the fall. Because it's so atmospheric and had I read it in winter, I would have been more spooked. That's the only regret I have. Because even thought the book spans many years, the main twists and deadly things happen during winter or very cold weather conditions. So I recommend you read that in winter to get the right feeling. And by that I mean get ready for a fright.
Ever since Pandora people know to avoid opening mysterious boxes. I guess someone in Britain didn't get the memo and ruined many a life because of it because somehow something very dark, ancient, and incorporeal got its hands on freedom and wants a human child.
I can't tell you much more without spoilers because it's quite short and powerful read. And the vampires? Well, the story isn't primarily focused on them so they play a small (yet important) role. And I believe the sequel will explain more about their nature.
So if you want to read a good winter horror with an occasional fang, I suggest you grab this. Before the tables turn and it grabs you.

GENRE: horror
FANGS OUT: dark and gloomy
FANGS RETRACTING: need more info about vamps
TOTAL SCORE:


No comments:

Post a Comment