Sep 10, 2014

Crunchy waffles

I've gone through a ridiculous number of waffles before finding the perfect batter. Most of the ones I found were too pancake-y (don't get me wrong, pancakes are OK if you want pancakes, but not when you want waffles) and I didn't like them. 
But then, one simple ingredient changed it all and made my waffles crunchy - sparkling water. Doesn't matter if it's mineral or plain, it just must have bubbles in it and that'll do the trick.
 



You'll need (for 8 waffles):
  • 125g butter
  • 100g brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 250g flour (I made the one in the picture with whole-grain rye but you can have all-purpose if you don't like the taste of other types of flour)
  • 100ml milk
  • 100ml sparkling water
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • optional: 1 tablespoon of a thing of your choice (I made these with cocoa powder, once did them with shredded coconut, cinnamon is yummy as well,...) 

one little blob goes a long way, trust me
Melt the butter a little and just get all the ingredients together till they make kinda thick batter. 
Then put the batter into your waffle maker (be careful, this thick batter makes it look like you need to put a lot onto the plate in the waffle maker, however, the heat is gonna melt it and it may overflow if you put there too much). 
And then just wait till it's the way you want it. It's up to you to decide how long you let it in the waffle maker. 
Then you are ready to serve it with your favorite toppings. I chose sea buckthorn jam and cream. You add whatever you want. 


No comments:

Post a Comment